Monday, March 5, 2012

Why am I running Boston?


Our son, Colin William Trottier, was born on September 29, 2011. Our joy in the birth of our third son was tempered when Colin was diagnosed with Down Syndrome 10 days after birth. Down syndrome is a genetic condition and is the most common single cause of human birth defects. Approximately half the children with Down syndrome are born with some type of heart defect, and Colin is one of them. The doctors are hopeful that this will heal on its own.


My wife, Kelly, and I spent several months getting used to the fact that Colin would have special needs beyond that which we experienced with our first two boys. We are learning every day. Colin has two older brothers, Mason and Mitchell, both of which truly adore him. We didn’t tell them that Colin had Down Syndrome until just a couple weeks ago. Kelly and I didn’t know how to tell them or how to answer the questions that could come up. Once we explained, both were concerned, and asked if Colin was going to be ok. We explained that Colin is going to be fine…and he will still be able to steal your toys. We continued to explain the value of family and always being together and being there for each other no matter what. It’s a love like no other and cannot be explained.


I personally spent the first few months in denial, how could this happen to us? I cried when I would be on my ride to and from work. I prayed, I asked for answers. I just didn’t understand. I felt as though I failed somehow. Boy, was I wrong! As the days rolled on, and I heard from more people about their kids with Down Syndrome, they were amazingly happy. They were truly happy and often explained how much love has been generated in their homes. My wife and I are truly blessed.  We have three beautiful boys and a noisy house! Colin is a blessing and we wouldn’t change a thing!


Our experience, and what I’ve learned from other parents, has brought home the value of an organization like the Massachusetts Down Syndrome Congress.  The information provided by MDSC to parents and the public about Down Syndrome, and their public advocacy is a vital resource that deserves our support.


I will be running the Boston Marathon this year for the Massachusetts Down Syndrome Congress, MDSC, and my goal is to raise $7,500 for the awareness of Down Syndrome. I have made this year’s race a personal challenge, and I need your help. Anything you give is most appreciated…I know we are in tough times, but every dollar helps.


Please help me do it for Colin and for all the other children like him!

http://www.crowdrise.com/teammdscboston/fundraiser/russelltrottier


No comments:

Post a Comment